Large Solution SAFe is aimed at developing the largest and most complex solutions that typically requires multiples ARTs and suppliers, but do not require portfolio level considerations.
1. Coordinate and integrate multiples ARTs and Suppliers
Solution Trains align ARTs to a common mission
ARTs power the Solution Train
- Each ART within a Solution Train contributes to the development of a large solution
- Solution Management, Solution Architect/Engineering and the STE (Solution Train Engineer) foster the coordination and the delivery of value
Suppliers play a key role in large solution development
- Suppliers often play a key role in solution development. The overall Value Stream's agility is dependent on suppliers' agility.
- Lean-Agile suppliers are treated as another ART, participating in all Solution Train events
- Suppliers working traditional methodologies work against milestones, but are expected to attend pre- and post-PI Planning, Solution Demo and Solution Train Inspect & Adapt
- SAFe enterprises help suppliers improve their processes and become more lean and Agile to the economic benefit of both organisations
Customers are inseparable from the development process
Customers are a critical aspect of development. Engaging them into the process depends on the type of the solution and the customer's impact
E.g: End user purchaser of a CRM system
Custom built solutions
E.g: Government purchaser of a defence system
Prepare with Pre- and Post-PI Planning
|08:00 - 10:00||PI Summary reports||
|10:00 - 10:30||Business context & Solution Vision|
|10:30 - 11:30||
Top N Capabilities
|11:30 - 13:30||
Next PI features
Solution Train management review and problem solving
After the ARTs finish their management review and problem-solving, the STE facilitates a similar meeting for the Solution Train.
- Common questions during the Solution Train management review and Problem-Solving:
- What new dependencies have we identified?
- Where do we need to adjust Vision? Scope? Resources?
- Where are the bottlenecks?
- What capabilities must be de-scoped?
- What decisions must we make between now and tomorrow (for PI Planning meeting) to address these issues?
|09:00 - 12:00||PI Planning report||
|12:00 - 13:00||Lunch|
|13:00 - 15:00||
Plan review, risk analysis and confidence vote
|15:00 - ???||
Plan re-work, if necessary
Planning retrospective and moving forward
Verify fitness for purpose with the Solution Demo
Solution Demo requires frequent solution integration
Solution team Inspect & Adapt
The Solution Train I&A workshop consists of three parts:
Participants are representatives from ARTs and Suppliers building the solution:
2. Define Large Solutions
Solution and Solution Context
Capabilities describe Solution behaviours
A Capability describes the higher level behaviours of a Solution.
- They are maintained in the Solution Backlog and are prioritised using WSJF
- Written using a phrase, statement of benefits and acceptance criteria
- Must be structured to fit within a single PI
- Capabilities are split into Features for implementation
Capture knowledge in Solution Intent
Moving from variable to fixed Solution Intent
- Preserve flexibility to enable evolution towards optimum solution alternative
- To achieve that, fix only minimum requirements and designs
- Consider the rest as assumptions and designs
- Validate assumptions continuously, through repetitive learning cycles (PIs)
- Drive exploration with Enablers
- Converge on well defined (fixed) behaviours
Continuously evolve compliance documents
- Evolve specifications and compliance documents each increment
- Ensure alignment across all solution builders
- Generate specifications and compliance documents from models to ensure single source of truth